If you’re looking for a way to make a difference in the life of children and our community, SCAN can help. SCAN (Stop Child Abuse & Neglect) works with children and adults throughout northeast Indiana to keep children safe and make families stronger. Listed below are a variety of ways you can help us. If you have any questions, simply give us a call. We can be reached at the numbers and e-mail addresses below.
Fill safety supply orders – staff submit requests and volunteer goes through resources to fill orders. 2 hrs. per week (anytime) • Fill Resource requests – staff submit topics and volunteer goes through videos, books, articles and gets lessons ready. 4-6pm • Packets for new clients – volunteer gathers materials and put together new client gift bags. 1 hr. per week (anytime) • Library coverage – assist staff in locating videos, articles, etc. One day a week 4-6pm or Saturday 10am-Noon
Fill orders – staff turns in orders for their caseload and books are pulled and given to staff as well as inventoried and tracked by client. One day a week for 2 hours a day. Need 1 or 2 on-going volunteers to maintain consistency.
Family Restoration Volunteer
Helping to get children from the front reception area to the Supervised Visitation area and then back to the reception area after their visit. • Helping foster parents in getting children in and out of their vehicles. • Assisting staff in taking children to the restroom. • Greet foster parents • Cleaning Toys • Organize Supervised Visitation Rooms One day a week for 2 to 4 hours a day.
One day a month for 1-2 hours. • Sort donated clothing to size, gender & age.
One day a week for 2 to 4 hours a day. Data Entry - Copying - Filing - Mailings - Scoring Tests - Special Events
Prevention Through Education Volunteer Presenters
- This program helps prevent child abuse and neglect by educating children and youth on how to protect themselves.
- This program also trains adults on warning signs and builds skills for professionals.
- Presentations are done at schools, day care centers, social service agencies or government offices and are tailored to meet the needs of the audience.
- Presentations may also include videos, slides, overhead transparencies and handouts.
- Presentations done on various topics: Physical & Emotional Abuse - Sexual Abuse - Neglect - Gun Safety - Parenting Topics - Shaken Baby Syndrome (Abusive Head Trauma) - Date Rape & Dating Violence
- To volunteer for this program you will need to attend 2 Train the Trainer sessions, observe 3 presentations done by a SCAN staff member and present 3 workshops with the assistance of a staff member. This program offers the curriculum, resources, support and guidance to make the program a success. The Train the Trainer workshops are held several times a year. If you are interested, please let us know and we will notify you when the next training will be held. Approximately 3 hours a month (2 presentations).
Special Projects and Fundraising Events:
- Brown Bag Lunch – March
- Duck Race - May and June
- SCAN Party - September
If you are interested in helping out with the Special Events ask us for more details.